Trump Election Win

Latest Topics Forum Index General Discussion Off-Topic Trump Election Win

This topic contains 158 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Dr. Lee 6 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 159 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    • 8 topics
    • 653 replies

Well well well, it seems that the turnout wasn’t that bad after all—it appears we were in fact cheated by the electoral college!

Dr. Lee
    Asian Sirens' admin, moderator, editor, tech guy, designer…

Avatar of RomanticwarriorRomanticwarrior
    • 11 topics
    • 105 replies

About half would say saved.

Keymaster
    • 8 topics
    • 653 replies

Romanticwarrior,

Once the reality of his Presidency sets in, that will only be the top 1% and white supremacists (although there seems to be a frighteningly large number of the latter in the US). I mean, look at how extreme most of his cabinet picks have been so far, and the endless conflicts of interest with his business.. Not to mention his ongoing delusional, narcissistic hissy fits, like his recent claims of mass illegal voting, while at the same time vociferously objecting to a recount! As always. his ego wants to have everything both ways—he simply isn’t of sufficient character to be President of any country.

Dr. Lee

• 11 topics
    • 105 replies

Fortunately I’m not forced into the position of defending Trump… though I think the worry of white supremacists is a ginned worry. Now we have to hope he surprises us as the POTUS. As I’ve said before, on the positive side this seems to be the end of Clinton (knock on wood). Here’s a pretty good article on why she was rejected though I don’t agree with all of it.

Why did the Democratic Party lose this important election? Before one moves forward, it is important to look backward and properly identify the reasons and learn the right lessons. So, in that spirit I offer some thoughts.
    Democrats used to say about electoral politics, “It’s the economy, stupid.” I’ll modify that and say, “It’s also the candidate, stupid.” This may hurt Hillary Clinton supporters, but she was completely the wrong candidate for progressives this election.
    She had the resume, but in addition, the Democratic candidate for this election had to be almost squeaky-clean, passionate and have the “it” factor too. Unfortunately, she lacked these key ingredients.
    One fatal mistake the Clinton campaign made was in thinking that demographics and their fancy political machine were enough to win elections. They forgot that the candidate is the ultimate closer who “brings it home.”
    They relied on the famous Obama coalition – minorities, women, millennials – so much that they relatively neglected the white working class voters in the Rust Belt states.
    It turns out the Obama coalition isn’t bullet-proof or transferable – the key ingredient in it was Obama.
    Further, it’s not entirely fair but our TV age demands a candidate who’s extrovertish and likes talking to 10,000 people at a time. The best wonk cred doesn’t help if you can’t do that well, as Hillary and the Democrats found out. Barack Obama was different – an introvertish, charismatic wonk – but never mind.
    Bernie Sanders, my candidate, had the “it” factor in spades; he with the crumpled suit, rumpled hair, had genuineness, passion and honesty as his main accouterments.
    Lastly, I can’t reiterate enough how much the email issue and Foundation issue hurt Clinton with many potential voters – independents, many Democrats like me and many others.
    Buy Photo
    (Photo: File / The Tennessean)
    These were real issues with teeth, by the way, but many Democrat voters and the Clinton campaign continued to bury their heads in the sand and insist that they were “made-up issues” and concocted by the “right-wing conspiracy.”
    In a nutshell, Trump’s Access Hollywood tape was obscene, but almost as obscene to me was the WikiLeaks revelation that Clinton Foundation money had helped pay for Chelsea Clinton’s wedding and living expenses for a decade.
    More broadly, the Democratic Party has become, like Bill Maher says, a “boutique” party, a party of flashiness and glitz with its Lady Gagas and Katy Perrys and Beyonces, and with its non-stop debates on race, gender and sexuality. These issues are important, but they came at the expense of talking about bread-and-butter issues, which is why the Rust Belt voters bolted.
    Liberals and the Democratic Party have some serious work to do. Among them: Don’t condescend to rural voters, the non-college-educated, and conservative Christians, and don’t paint them in a single dimension. At the very least, extend them the same courtesy you do to immigrants, Muslims, gay people. And don’t judge their groups by their worst members, the thing you – we – say about Muslims.
    Further,the Democratic Party’s identity politics makes it hard for Americans to talk honestly about Islamic extremism, undocumented immigration, and many other issues.
    Most of all, I mourn that the Democratic Party (and millions of Democratic voters) that prides itself on being an evidence-based party has lost its way and ignored the evidence that their candidate was deeply flawed.
    In the Electoral-College-versus-popular-vote, my take is that Trump’s Electoral College victory is a more representative victory nationwide than Clinton’s popular vote victory. If we went by only popular vote tallies, in the future, populous states like California, New York and Texas may decide elections. I know this isn’t a perfect argument, though.
    I’m not happy Trump won, but I’m glad Clintonism lost. The Democratic Party deserved to lose for many reasons, but especially because it had gotten annoyingly complacent about its demographic “coalition,” and smug in its convictions of its moral superiority.
    Saritha Prabhu of Clarksville is a Tennessean columnist. Reach her at sprabhu@charter.net.

Keymaster
    • 8 topics
    • 653 replies

Romanticwarrior,

While I think the claims of Clinton being super corrupt are totally unjustified (after all, with all the mud that’s been slung at her, she still hasn’t been indicted on anything), I agree with the article you posted pretty much entirely—I supported Bernie for pretty much exactly these reasons, And while Clinton herself may not have been corrupt, the Democratic party leadership clearly was—I am glad they will now be cleaned out, hopefully to be replaced with a real worker’s party again. So I too am glad to see the end of ‘Clintonism’ in isolation—I just feel that the alternative of Trumpism will be utterly catastrophic (although luckily it probably won’t get very far).

Dr. Lee

• 11 topics
    • 105 replies

I believe Clinton is super corrupt and the skullduggery that went on with AG Lynch after meeting will Bill Clinton (who had appointed her as a US attorney) saying the Justice Dept. would follow Comeys lead on whether to indict and Comey laying out the reasons to indict her then surprising everyone by saying he didn’t know anyone who would take that case (I’m sure there were quite a few who would) so he recommended no indictment….though that’s not his job …which allowed Lynch the cover to say that was it, they would follow his advice, no indictment. The laws she broke don’t require intent (I personally don’t believe there was intent to aid foreign powers, I believe that it was more important for her to block transparency and keep her secrets at all costs than it was to keep the nations secrets). Add in being a pathological liar. I could not understand how the supposedly “educated” supporters could accept having her lie to their face almost daily “I used one device for convenience”, “No classified subjects went out”. No classified subjects came in”, nothing was marked classified , etc. etc. etc. all lies that she continued to state as fact. I guess enough of the democrats outside of the few group-think states that gave her the popular vote were insulted enough to stay home. And I won’t even get in the litany of other things, Wasserman-Shultz, Brazile and on and on. The Clintons were exhausting in the word parsing “it depends on what your definition “is” is” and all that and it always seemed to me, to sum it up, the Clintons were never about saying, “we’re innocent, but rather, “you can’t prove we’re guilty.And while Trump lies the weight of a FLOTUS, Senator and SOS lying partly to enrich herself to he tunes of 100′s of millions of dollars AND saying she was broke and couldn’t pay the mortgages on several of their houses weighs heavier at this time)…TOO MUCH! Thankfully the honor of being the first female POTUS is denied her.

Keymaster
    • 8 topics
    • 653 replies

Romanticwarrior,

All the stuff people go on about with Clinton is (a) unproven—hence the lack of any indictments despite overwhelming scrutiny and political pressure—and (b) pretty mild compared with the sort of corruption committed by people like Trump on a daily basis. Anyone who says they are concerned about corruption and then turns around and votes for Trump is, I’m sorry to say, being hypocritical in the extreme. You can be certain this will be the most corrupt administration in US history—if it even lasts long enough to do much of consequence. It will certainly be infinitely more corrupt than a Clinton administration would have been, whatever her actual faults may be.

Dr. Lee

Participant
    • 6 topics
    • 222 replies

So “Crooked Hillary” committed crimes concerning classified information while Secretary of State (not proven, by the way) and Donald Trump and his supporters said “Lock her up!” Now, Donald Trump is considering for HIS Secretary of State Gen. David Petraeus, who was actually CONVICTED of both unauthorized divulging of classified information and of lying to the FBI about it. And somehow Trump supporters are okay with this?

And people might want to make an unbiased comparison of the Clinton Foundation and the Trump Foundation. Once again, any sins of Hillary pale in comparison to those of Trump.

Finally, as I alluded to elsewhere, there’s a reason why so many newspapers that had never before in their history supported a Democrat for President supported Hillary. There’s also a reason for the unprecedented disavowal of Trump by many prominent Republicans. Hint, it’s not because he’s dangerous to their interests because he’s going to “drain the swamp.” It’s because of his temperament, character and basic knowledge of well, just about any damn thing.

As usual, a nude Asian siren to lighten the mood:

Attachments:
    1. Sweetkimberly-216-30-lg

Sweetkimberly-216-30-lg.jpg

• 11 topics
    • 105 replies

As I’ve said before I don’t have to go on and on talking about or defending Trump because I didn’t vote for him although it would be easy to go tit for tat on the transgressions list and that includes foundations. Clinton is a crook and a pathological liar, always has been. Lies that come from senators and Sec. of States should bother people (at the very least). Lying to the FBI should result in charges. Why it doesn’t points to a deeper problem – why some people seemingly get away with it. At least she’s got that 153 mill she earned from ’01 to ’15. I think whomever points the finger at one of the former POTUS candidates and gives a pass to the other has political blinders on.

Keymaster
    • 8 topics
    • 653 replies

Romanticwarrior,

Once again, there is no proof of any of this. Given how hard the Republicans have been trying to prosecute her—and the fact that many in the FBI including Comey are obviously on their side—doesn’t that tell you that they simply don’t actually have anything to indict her on? Isn’t the most obvious, reasonable and logical explanation for her not being charged with anything simply that she isn’t actually guilty of anything illegal? It’s just Occam’s Razor. And when it comes to a choice between conspiracy and f*** up, history clearly demonstrates you should choose f*** up every time—especially when that f*** up is so blatantly politically motivated.

Dr. Lee

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.