Anna May Wong

This topic contains 87 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by madmick 5 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • 6 topics
    • 222 replies

Thanks for the post, very interesting. She’s beautiful, of course, and I love her legs. I’ll have to watch some of her movies.

Avatar of OldiesloverOldieslover
    Participant
    • 15 topics
    • 1648 replies

“The Toll of the Sea” made Anna May Wong a known, and thus a marketable, commodity in Hollywood. This 1922 movie broke new ground to a degree showing a Chinese woman and Caucasian man falling in love. “The Toll of The Sea,” gave Anna May a starting point for being cast with non-Asian men and she became the #1 actress when a young Asian female part had to be cast, but unfortunately lead roles for Asians were few and far between.

Attachments:
    1. annamay37

annamay37.jpg

2. annamay38

annamay38.jpg

3. annamay39

annamay39.jpg

4. annamay40

annamay40.jpg

Participant
    • 15 topics
    • 1648 replies

Anna May was described as a woman with a complexion of a “rose blushing through old ivory,” but she usually stuck in supporting roles, as in Tod Browning’s melodrama Drifting (1923) and the western Thundering Dawn (1923). She even played an Eskimo in The Alaskan (1924). She appeared as Tiger Lily, “Chieftainess of the Indians,” in Paramount’s prestigious production of J.M. Barrie’s Peter Pan (1924), but the role was very small. Despite some initial success, she struggled to find meaningful roles.

Attachments:
    1. annamay41

annamay41.jpg

2. annamay42

annamay42.jpg

3. annamay43

annamay43.jpg

4. annamay44

annamay44.jpg

Participant
    • 15 topics
    • 1648 replies

Although she was 170-cm-tall (5’7″) many sources cited her height as 5’4½, believing Chinese women couldn’t be considered tall. Strange, but that’s how many people thought at that time. However, Anna May did become known as one of the world’s best-dressed women and widely considered to have the loveliest hands in the cinema.

Attachments:
    1. annamay45

annamay45.png

2. annamay46

annamay46.jpg

3. annamay47

annamay47.jpg

4. annamay48

annamay48.jpg

Participant
    • 15 topics
    • 1648 replies

Her big breakthrough after “The Toll of the Sea” finally came when Douglas Fairbanks cast her in a supporting role as a treacherous Mongol slave in his Middle Eastern/Arabian Nights extravaganza The Thief of Bagdad (1924). The $2-million blockbuster production made her known to critics and the movie-going public. For better or worse, a star, albeit of the stereotypical “Dragon Lady” type, was born. Yes, Anna May brought the Dragon Lady to American cinema and continues to this day.

Attachments:
    1. annamay49

annamay49.jpg

2. annamay50

annamay50.jpg

3. annamay51

annamay51.jpg

4. annamay52

annamay52.jpg

Participant
    • 15 topics
    • 1648 replies

Despite her beauty and proven acting talent, she was limited to supporting roles, as Caucasian actresses, including most improbably Myrna Loy, continued to be cast as Asian women in lead roles from the 1920s through the 1940s. This “whitewashing,” issue is still seen in movies even now.

Attachments:
    1. annamay53

annamay53.jpg

2. annamay54

annamay54.jpg

3. annamay55

annamay55.png

4. annamay56

annamay56.jpg

Avatar of Woody-AlienWoody-Alien
    Participant
    • 61 topics
    • 258 replies

A very fascinating story, thanks for sharing.

Participant
    • 15 topics
    • 1648 replies

In and around 1928, Anna May journeyed to and finally moved to Europe to escape the typecasting of Hollywood. Journalist Doris Mackie once asked her why(?)… “I was so tired of the parts I had to play. Why is it that the screen Chinese is always the villain? And so crude a villain–murderous, treacherous, a snake in the grass.” Pictures #3 and #4 are of Anna May with Marlene Dietrich. They became very close friends.

Attachments:
    1. annamay57

annamay57.jpg

2. annamay58

annamay58.png

3. annamay59

annamay59.jpg

4. annamay60

annamay60.jpg

Participant
    • 15 topics
    • 1648 replies

Los Angeles based movie magazine “Pictures” published a story about Anna May in 1926 in which she complained, “A lot of people, when they first meet me, are surprised that I speak and write English without difficulty. But why shouldn’t I? I was born right here in Los Angeles and went to the public schools here. I speak English without any accent at all. But my parents complain that the same cannot be said of my Chinese. Although I have gone to Chinese schools, and always talk to my father and mother in our native tongue, it is said that I speak Chinese with an English accent!”. Later in her memoir, Anna May referred to herself as “Chinese” or “Americanized Chinese,” but not as an “American” or “Chinese-American.” Whenever I speak of her myself, knowing this, I try to never refer to her as Chinese-American, out of respect. I refer to her as Chinese.

Attachments:
    1. annamay61

annamay61.jpg

2. annamay62

annamay62.jpg

3. annamay63

annamay63.jpg

4. annamay64

annamay64.jpg

Participant
    • 15 topics
    • 1648 replies

After Anna May moved to Europe in 1928, she made movies in the UK and Germany. She made her debut on the London stage with the young up-and-coming Laurence Olivier in the play “The Circle of Chalk.” After she was critiqued her voice and singing from London critics, she hired a Cambridge University tutor to improve her speech, with the result that she acquired an upper-crust English accent, which she could turn on and off at will.

Attachments:
    1. annamay65

annamay65.jpg

2. annamay66

annamay66.jpg

3. annamay67

annamay67.jpg

4. annamay68

annamay68.jpg

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.